10 Lodge Street, Albany NY
St. Mary’s Church is a historic Catholic Church on Lodge Street in downtown Albany. The first St. Mary’s Church was built in 1797 at the corner of Pine and Chapel Streets. Historic St. Mary’s, as the Church is commonly known, is the second oldest Parish in New York State, superseded only by St. Peter’s on Barclay Street in Manhattan which was found in 1786.
On October 12, 1820, in order to alleviate the overcrowded original church, the second St. Mary’s Church was built. This second church, built on the site of the first St. Mary’s, was designed by Philip Hooker in the Federal style and cost $12.000.
The cornerstone for the present day St. Mary’s was laid on August 11, 1867. The church was designed by Albany Architect Charles Nichols in the Romanesque Revival style and cost $100,000. Its tower, completed in 1894, rises 175 feet and is topped with a large statue of St. Gabriel the Archangel blowing a trumpet as the “Angel of Judgment”. The third St. Mary’s Church was dedicated by the second Bishop of Albany, the Rt. Rev. John Conroy.
The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
The following Memorial Names that were found in the church were
transcribed by TIGS volunteer Mimi Nicotina.