North Baptist or Fifth Avenue Baptist Church 
and
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran

1838 Fifth Avenue, Corner of Fulton Street
Troy, New York

The Baptist Church building at Fifth Avenue and Fulton Street in Troy has been home to various different congregations over the years.  Currently this is the home of the Victorious Life Christian Church.

The North or Fifth Avenue Baptist Church began on June 6, 1843 with 57 members from the First Particular Baptist Church. The church was burned in 1852, rebuilt, and then burned again during the Great Fire of 1862.   It was again rebuilt in 1863 and the building still stands today. The building measures 92 feet by 67 feet has 11,000 square feet of space with a seating capacity of 300. The 133 feet high tower contains a bell weighing 2500 pounds.

NOTE: See the LOCAL HISTORY section of the website to read all about the Great Fire of 1862.

In 1928, the First English Lutheran Church, which was organized in 1897, relocated to the heart of the city and purchased the Church building from the Baptists. The congregation adopted the name of Central Evangelical Lutheran Church of Troy upon its relocation to the Baptist Church building. In 1944 the First English Lutheran Church merged with Trinity Lutheran Church (1871-1944) to become St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.

In 1991 St. John’s Lutheran Church joined Our Savior’s Lutheran Church and formed Faith Lutheran Church which is now located on Leversee Road in Troy. Our Savior’s Lutheran Church that merged with St. John’s was formed in 1971 by the joining of Our Savior’s Lutheran-Troy (1886-1971), Bethany Lutheran Church-Troy (1943-1968), and St. John’s Lutheran-Melrose (1777-1969).

In 1991 the St. John’s Lutheran Church building (formerly the Baptist Church) at Fifth Avenue and Fulton Street was purchased by a local Church, Troy Christian Community, a small charismatic house Church, for $90,000. At that time the Church name was changed to Victorious Life Christian Church.

The following Memorial Names that were found in the old Baptist Church building were transcribed by TIGS volunteer Rebecca Rector.

LIST OF NAMES

NAME MEMORIAL LOCATION INSCRIPTION CHURCH STATUS
Altar Guild Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memoriam Miss Helen M. Green – Altar Guild North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Daus, William J. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, left In Memoriam William J. Daus – Mrs. William J. Daus North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Daus, William J., Mrs. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, left In Memoriam William J. Daus – Mrs. William J. Daus North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Doering, A. G., Mr. & Mrs. Mr. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, left In Memoriam Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Doering – The Children North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Green, Helen M., Miss Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memoriam Miss Helen M. Green – Altar Guild North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Hay, Edwin S., Mr. & Mrs. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memoriam Mr. and Mrs. George L. Hayner – Mr. and Mrs. Edwin S. Hay North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Hayner, George L., Mr. & Mrs. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memoriam Mr. and Mrs. George L. Hayner – Mr. and Mrs. Edwin S. Hay North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Hoffman, J., Mr. & Mrs. Mr.  Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, left In Memoriam Mr. and Mrs. J. Hoffman -The Children North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Ladies Aid Stained Glass Window, large Sanctuary, back In Memoriam of the Pastors of the Congregation – The Ladies Aid North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Miller, MahlonH., Mr. & Mrs.  Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memory of Mr. and Mrs. MahlonH. Miller by Daughter Mildred and Family North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Miller, Mildred Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memory of Mr. and Mrs. MahlonH. Miller by Daughter Mildred and Family North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Moore, Hermine, Mrs. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memoriam Matilda J. Weiss – Mrs. HermineMoore North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Pastors Stained Glass Window, large Sanctuary, back In Memoriam of the Pastors of the Congregation – The Ladies Aid North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Schreiber, Carl J., Mrs. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, left In Memoriam Mr. and Mrs. Carl J. Schreiber – The Children North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed
Weiss, Matilda J. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary, right In Memoriam Matilda J. Weiss – Mrs. HermineMoore North Baptist or 5th Ave. Baptist – St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Closed

If anyone is interested in helping on a similar project,

contact Bill McGrath at:  seamus@nycap.rr.com

 

Back