North Reformed Dutch Church

1501 First Ave, Watervliet

 

 

The North Reformed Dutch Church was erected in 1839, north of the Watervliet Arsenal at 1501 First Avenue in Watervliet. Another Dutch Reformed Church had been in existence south of the Arsenal since 1814, called Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Washington and Gibbonsville.

The steeple of the North Church was blown off in 1854, along with the Meneely bell, which had to be replaced. This bell was last rung during the Vietnam War. There were also two disastrous fires – in 1900 and 1924.

 

Many prominent families were members of the North Church, including Meneely, Schuyler, Oothout, Lansing, Witbeck, Gibbons, and VanDenburgh. The congregation of North Church split in the 1860’s and many members in 1872 moved into a new church building at 601 Fifth Avenue which became the Jermain Memorial Presbyterian Church built as a memorial to Silvanus P. Jermain by his son James B. Jermain.

In 1968, North Reformed and the First Baptist Church in Watervliet united to form Christ Church. Christ Church closed in 2001.

 

 

The only memorials that remain are the windows in the sanctuary.

 

The annex or church hall which was built in 1865 today houses the Watervliet Historical Society and Museum. Many thanks to the Watervliet Historical Society for information provided on the North Reformed Dutch Church.

The following Memorial Names that were found in the North Reformed Dutch Church were transcribed by TIGS volunteer Rebecca Rector.

NAME MEMORIAL LOCATION INSCRIPTION CHURCH STATUS
Drake, Francis Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Loving Memory of Francis Drake – Given By his Wife Katherine S. Drake North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Drake, Katherine S. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Loving Memory of Francis Drake – Given By his Wife Katherine S. Drake North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Gregory, Oscar H., D.D. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Right In Memory of
Oscar H. Gregory, D.D.
1838 – 1870
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Hamlin, Mrs. Stained Glass Window Room at back of Sanctuary – Left Class of Mrs. Hamlin North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Hilton, Abram Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Right In Memoriam of
Abram Hilton
By his Wife Charlotte E. Hilton
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Hilton, Charlotte E. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Right In Memoriam
Abram Hilton
– By his Wife Charlotte E. Hilton
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Hilton, John Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Memoriam
John Hilton & Daughter Rachel
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Hilton, Rachel Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Memoriam
John Hilton & Daughter Rachel
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Kimberly, George Hazard Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Right In Memoriam
George Hazard Kimberly
By His Wife & Sons
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Moreland, Rebecca Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Memoriam
Rebecca & Isabella Moreland
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Moreland, Isabella Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Memoriam
Rebecca & Isabella Moreland
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
VanVranken, Adam Tunis, MD Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Left In Memoriam
Adam Tunis  VanVranken, M.D.    1850 – 1903
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Warner, Eliza M. Snyder Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Right In Memoriam
Eliza M. Snyder Warner
Erected by Her Grandson
George H. Warner
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed
Warner, George H. Stained Glass Window Sanctuary – Right In Memoriam
Eliza M. Snyder Warner
Erected by Her Grandson
George H. Warner
North Reformed Dutch Church, Watervliet Closed

 

 

Back