St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, Green Island NY

131 George St, Green Island NY

St Josephs Green Island

The original parish for St Joseph’s in Green Island was organized in 1868 and a wooden frame church structure was built on George Street, south of Swan (later the location of St Joseph’s school).  The cornerstone for the Church structure shown above (on the northeast corner of George and Swan Streets) is dated June 22, 1890. For over 115 years St. Joseph’s Church and Parish served generations of Green Island residents. 

Main Altar, St Joseph’s Church, Green Island, NY

The first baptism was administered on November 29, 1868 to Edward Conroy, son of John and Maria Conroy, The first marriage took place between Daniel Whalen and Catherine Pender on August 1, 1869. For over 115 years St. Joseph’s Church and Parish served generations of Green Island residents. 

In 2005, six Catholic Churches from Green Island and Watervliet were combined into a new parish, Immaculate Heart of Mary. St. Joseph’s Church, Green Island was permanently closed on Sunday, August 29, 2010. Church records for St Joseph’s, dating from 1868 to 2005, are held by Immaculate Heart of Mary parish in Watervliet.

The following Memorial Names that were found in the church were transcribed by TIGS volunteer Donna Vaughn. Donna has over 100 pictures of the memorials and will provide a copy upon request.

St Joseph's Green Island

wdt_ID Name Memorial Location Inscription Church Status
1 Amash, Joseph J. Memorial Plaques Lobby Joseph J. Amash  5/16/1989 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
2 Antos, Paul J., Rev. Asst. Pastor St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
3 Bailey, Donald F. Memorial Plaques Lobby Donald F. Bailey  8/20/1998 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
4 Bailey, Erin C. Memorial Plaques Lobby Erin C. Bailey  11/16/1993 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
5 Bannon, James, Mrs. Station of the Cross #7 Side Wall Gift of Mrs. James Bannon St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
6 Barrett, John J., Rev. Pastor – 1915-1927 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
7 Benoit, Alfred J. Communion Rail Front of church Gift of Anna M. Benoit in Memory of her Husband Alfred J Benoit – 1949 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
8 Benoit, Anna M. Communion Rail Front of church Gift of Anna M. Benoit in Memory of her Husband Alfred J Benoit – 1949 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
9 Benoit, Teresa Memorial Plaques Lobby Teresa Benoit  9/27/1996 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
10 Benoit, Thomas A. Memorial Plaques Lobby Thomas A. Benoit  11/11/1989 St. Joseph’s, Green Island Closed 8/29/2010
Back