2238 12th Street – Troy NY
St. Paul the Apostle Parish was established on June 28, 1890, by the Most Reverend Francis McNierney, the third Bishop of Albany. Father William O’Mahony was named the first Pastor of the parish. He was given the privilege of selecting the parish patron and he chose Saint Paul the Apostle… the Teacher of Nations.
Bishop McNierney laid the cornerstone on July 5, 1891. The design of the church was a Romanesque building with Byzantine touches and was built to accommodate 450 parishioners. The stained glass windows were designed by Meyer & Company of Munich. Mr. Edward Loth, a Troy architect, designed the church.
The great bell, the largest in Rensselaer County–weighing about four thousand pounds–was cast by the Meneely Bell Foundry of West Troy (now Watervliet) during the first decade of the church’s establishment.
St. Paul the Apostle was permanently closed on May 31, 2009.
The following Memorial Names that were found in St. Paul’s were transcribed by TIGS volunteer Kathleen Gallagher Brearton