Third and Washington Street, Troy NY
The Rev. Peter Havermans, in charge of St. Peter’s Church, wanted to provide the Irish people residing in the southern part of the city with a convenient building in which to engage in religious services. In 1843 he obtained the sanction of Bishop Hughes to collect moneys to build a church there. On May 27th, 1843 the trustees of St. Peter’s Church purchased the lot on the north-east corner of Third and Washington streets, on which shortly afterward the erection of St. Mary’s Church begun. On June 29th, 1843, the Very Rev. John Powers, vicar-general of New York, laid the corner-stone of the brick edifice and on June 3, 1844 the church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Bishop McCloskey.
In October 1897, the new pastor of St. Mary’s, the Rev. Dr. John F. Lowery, saw a need for a larger house of worship. The last mass in the old St. Mary’s church was celebrated in June 1898 and during construction of the new church, mass was celebrated in a temporary edifice erected on the site of the school building which is now an apartment building.
The cornerstone of the imposing present church building was laid on Sunday , May 27, 1900 by the Rt. Reverend Thomas M. A. Burke, Bishop of Albany who also presided at the dedication on Sunday, May 8, 1904.
After 167 years of service to the community, St. Mary’s Church was permanently closed on Sunday, June 6, 2010.
The following Memorial Names that were found in the church were transcribed by TIGS volunteer Kathleen Gallagher Brearton.
|1||Inwood, George||Large stained glass window of Jesus as an adult holding a lamb||Right side rear||Gift of George Inwood||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|2||Kelly, Edward||Large stained glass window-Holy Family||Left side rear||In memory of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Kelly||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|3||Kern, James||Large stained glass window-Nativity of Christ - 4 smaller windows underneath four Evangelists-Matthew, Mark, Luke & John||Right side center||James Kern Gift of wife & mother||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|4||Mullin, Sarah||Large stained glass window-St. Margaret Mary & Sacred Heart-4 smaller windows underneath without inscriptions||Left side center||In memory of Sarah Mullin||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|5||O'Neil, Edward||Large stained glass window-Jesus blessing children||Left side front||Edward & Mary O'Neil||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|6||O'Neil, Mary||Large stained glass window-Jesus blessing children||Left side front||Edward & Mary O'Neil||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|7||Stanton, John||Large stained glass window-St. Patrick teaching Irish King||Right side front||Gift of John Stanton||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|
|8||Stanton, John||Lighting fixtures of the church||Plaque in rear vestibule||Gift of John Stanton - In memory of his father & mother||St. Mary's, Troy||Closed June 6, 2010|