Find your Troy-area ancestors, Irish or not
CITIZENS’ STEAMBOAT CO. OF TROY
Excerpted from the book
Troy’s One Hundred Years 1789-1889
Published in 1891 by William H. Young, 7 and 9 First Street, Troy, NY
In the winter of 1871-1872 the organization of the Citizens’ Steamboat Company of Troy was effected with a capital stock of $250,000, divided into 2,500 shares of $100 each. The first directors of the company, Norman B. Squires, Charles Eddy, Charles W. Farnam, Robert Robinson, Robert Green, Henry H. Darling, Charles L. MacArthur, E. D. Beach, James R. Fonda, William Kemp, Thomas D. Abrams, George W. Horton, and Joseph Cornell, were elected on January 22d, 1872. The articles of association were signed by the directors on February 19th.
The steamboats, Thomas Powell and Sunnyside, having been purchased of Cornell, Horton & Co., of Catskill, N. Y., began plying as night-boats, between the city and New York, at the opening of navigation, in the spring. After the loss of the Sunnyside, on December 1st, 1875, the company determined to build two boats which, in size and appointments, should surpass any of the boats previously plying between Troy and New York.
The contract for the construction of one was given to John English & Son, of Greenpoint, L. I. On January 2d, 1876, the building of the boat was begun and on April 1st, she was launched and named the City of Troy. On the morning of June 15th, that year, she arrived at the steamboat-landing, at the foot of Broadway; Captain L. D. Deming, formerly of the C. Vanderbilt, commanding her. Previous to the City of Troy taking her place on the line, the Twilight, Captain C. D. Hancox, substituted the Sunnyside. The Saratoga was launched form the yard of John English & son, on March 26th, 1877, and arrived at Troy on June 13th; Captain T. D. Abrams, of the Thomas Powell, commanding her. Captain Thomas D. Abrams has had the command of the Saratoga since that time, and Captain G. D. Wolcott of the City of Troy since 1878.