Find Your Troy, NY area ancestors, Irish or Not!
TROY SAVINGS BANK
Excerpted from the book
Troy’s One Hundred Years 1789-1889
Published in 1891 by William H. Young, 7 and 9 First Street, Troy, NY
The site of the Troy Savings Bank, on the north-east corner of Second and State streets, was purchased by the managers of the institution in February and March 1870; a part of the property being then in possession of the bank. The work of laying the foundation of the massive structure was begun on July 8th, 1871. The building was completed in the spring of 1875. It has a frontage of one hundred feet on Second Street, and extends eastwardly to the alley one hundred and thirty. The finely embellished and furnished banking room is thirty feet wide and seventy long.
The spacious auditory, known as Music Hall, in the upper part of the building, has a height of sixty feet, a width of sixth-nine, and a depth of one hundred and six, including the stage and organ platform. The sittings on the first floor and those on the two galleries and in the twelve boxes on each side of the auditory are accessible from lateral corridors, twelve feet wide. The sittings are about twelve hundred and fifty in number. The frescoes are highly artistic. A magnificent chandelier, having two hundred and sixty gas-burners, descends from the center of the high ceiling.
About $450,000 of the accumulated earnings of the bank were expended in purchasing the site, in erecting and furnishing the building. On March 24th, 1875, the bank occupied the building. Music Hall was dedicated on Monday night, April19th, that year, by Theodore Thomas, with a grand concert of orchestral and vocal music.
On October 1st, 1890, the deposits of the bank amounted to $5,222,424.
The large concert organ, forty-two feet wide and thirty high, built by J. H. & C. S. Odell, of New York City, was placed in the hall in October 1890.
Note: Music Hall is world renowned for its exceptional acoustics.